Thursday, August 11, 2005

Drivin' and Sleepin'

Guess what? I'm typing this from my new ibookG4. It's a fantastic machine; sleek, slim, fast. What I said before may be true, I might never go back to my PC. For some reason I can't get my e-mail to work yet, but either I will figure it out or go to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store. My experience with Apple has been terrific so far. You should get one if you can.
------------------------------------------

Did you all hear the about the Macedonian man who left his wife at an Italian service station and only realized that he had driven off without her SIX HOURS later? The couple was traveling with their 4-year old daughter and had stopped for gas. After fueling the tank, the husband drove away, not noticing that his wife had got out of the car to go to the restroom.

The poor wife had no money and no documents. She contacted the police who eventually found her husband in Milan--210 miles north of where he had left her.

The husband said he hadn't missed his wife because she always sat in the back of the car with their daughter.

Now, most folks will think that this guy is crazy, abusive, unthoughtful, controlling--something, but I think it could be an honest mistake. If you had ever been on a road trip with my wife you would see it too. The only reason I know that Rochelle is in the car is because she's sitting next to me. If she were in the back, I might leave her too. The reason? She sleeps the entire way!

Rochelle is always wanting to go on road trips. Recently we were talking about a much overdue trip to Mississippi and Atlanta--the two places I lived before I moved to Texas to go to university ("university""--like Madonna, every now and then I like to pretend that I'm British). I try telling her that that is a lot of driving, but she rebutts by telling me that it's not that bad. Well sure, it's not that bad for her. Driving to Atlanta, for Rochelle, would be like a 16-hour nap. I can see a man getting out of his car, pumping gas, and hoping back to head down the road thinking his sleeping wife and daughter were still sleeping.

There is one lagging question though: What kind of gas did he pump that he could drive SIX HOURS without having to stop again, and when did he plan on stopping to feed the 4-year old? Now that I think about it, maybe he did leave her on purpose, maybe she hadn't been sleeping, maybe she was talking too much? :) (That's just a joke everyone, my wife is not overly chatty)

2 comments:

Brendo said...

I did hear about this. And I did also wonder if this could have been an honest mistake. Somehow I get the image of Seinfeld's George Kastanza's parents (in which case I'm sure it was an act of passive aggression). Regarding Fuel: He may have had a diesel. I a 96 VW Tdi Wagon that got approx 46mi/gal and had approx 22gal tank. I once made 980 miles on one tank. At 1 mile per min: 980/60=~ 16. If I've got my maths right, that's 16hrs of driving. Biology comes into the picture a lot sooner than fuel.

Brendo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.