Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Change and the Golf Room

Today is my friend, Melanie's birthday. I kind of feel sorry for her. She was scheduled to participate in our church's Women's Bible Study and then have lunch with my wife and another woman they both respect a great deal. Alas, it was for naught, because icy streets in and around Houston have kept nearly everyone at home. I know from experience that spending your birthday alone -- and in her case, chasing after a 4 year-old and toddler to boot -- is no fun!

Yesterday she was recounting to me the surprise gathering that was thrown in her honor of her 30th birthday a few years ago. During the group's time together, some of the "older" women shared "what the wish they knew at 30." Melanie's mom said to her "Don't be afraid of change." That's good advice, I think.

I am frequently vocally advocating some kind of change, yet sometimes I find myself as resistant to changes as anyone could be. Today is one of those days.

My wife and I are expecting our second daughter in three weeks. I'm excited, yet hesitant. This afternoon my wife began clearing out the guest room -- or as we call it, the "golf room." As well as housing guest, this room housed my golf clubs, golf magazines, and my other golf related items. My friend, Kraig, and I painted the room a nice pale green and hung golf related pictures on the wall soon after we moved into our home. But my golf game took a back seat to parenthood after our first daughter was born three years ago. In fact I have only played three rounds of golf in over three years. As someone has said, "No scratch golfer has ever been Father of the Year." Cleaning out "the golf room," in some ways, signals the end of an era, a change. There was a time in my life when I went to the driving range a couple of times a week and played a round of golf on my day off. Now those days are filled with coloring, playing at the park, riding the carousel at the mall, and a host of other Daddy-Daughter related events.

And you know what, the change has been good! I adore watching my daughter grow up and see in her eyes the childlike faith that believes Daddy can do anything and knows that -- as she frequently says -- "God is taking care of us." And I love seeing my wife's belly growing larger and larger as our new baby get ready to, as Malia says, "come out."

So this weekend, my golf stuff will move from "never-used" status to "storage" status. But soon that room will house something far more beautiful, glorious, and powerful.

And the upside is this, when the moment comes that I'll have the time and money to play golf again, by the time my two girls are able to join me as I walk the links, it'll be time for a new set of golf clubs. It's a no lose situation!

2 comments:

Simpsongirl said...

Thanks for remembering my birthday, Sean!

I remember the three weeks leading up to Ezekiel's birth. We were excited, scared, sad, happy all at the same time. It is the end of an era. But, you will never look back on it with sad nostalgia, once the new little baby comes. And you are correct, the joy she will bring your family will far outweigh anything you could experience on the golf course.

Watching your two kids play together can even make a birthday during an "ice storm" fun. :-)

ClayMan said...

Amen, brother!

I guess if I had to clear out my 'computer' room to make room for my kids, I'd do so in a heartbeat - though there would be just a tinge of jealousy...

Nah - my wife would wind up doing the work 'cuz I got torqued off and went to Corpus. That's my room.

That's a bit of idealist versus realist...